The Clergy and Parishioners of Saint Emery’s Church extend a warm and open welcome for everyone seeking a place to worship and serve a loving God.
Saint Emery’s Parish has faithfully served its people, young and old, celebrating the risen lord for over 80 years bringing to them the true spirit and love of Christ.
Browse our website to learn about St. Emery’s Parish, our mission, our ministries, and our outreach and social activities. Read our rich history and enjoy a pictorial tour of the beautiful paintings, stained glass windows (the St. Francis of Assisi story), tapestries and sculpture art located throughout the Church.
The Weekly Bulletin web links, Announcements and ‘Where to Find it’ on this website, are below.
FROM OUR PASTOR
Brothers and Sisters,
As Pastor of St. Emery’s Parish of the Diocese of Bridgeport, I would like to extend a sincere welcome to all of you. St. Emery’s is open to all. Our people are and have been dedicated to serving the Lord and its parish community for many decades. Although St. Emery’s roots are founded in the proud Hungarian culture and the Franciscan Order, today St. Emery has parishioners from many backgrounds. The Church now, and as it always been before, openly welcomes people from every community and nationality who wish to embrace the Catholic Christian faith to worship and serve our Lord.
I invite you to browse our website to learn about St. Emery’s Parish, its people, its history and our outreach projects and social events
Father Milan Dimic
WEEKLY BULLETIN 2016
December 4 – Second Sunday in Advent
The Season of Advent
Liturgical Season of Advent leading to the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas
Advent Daily Mass Scripture in Preparation for Christmas (Advent 2016)
- Christmas Cookie Walk December 10th and 11th (News/Events)
- Annual Christmas Giving Tree fund drive underway (Outreach)
- NEW! Christmas Jesse Tree tradition introduced (News/Events)
- St. Emery’s annual Thanksgiving Food Drive completed (Outreach)
- St. Emery’s Feast Day event has been posted (News/Events)
- New! Parish Newsletter, October, Update Parish Activities (News/Events)
- New! St. Emery 80th Anniversary History Slide Show link (Home Page)
- New! History of St. Emery – Publications (History Page)
- First day photographs from Religious Education Program posted (News/Events)
- Catholic Bible study Walking with Purpose starting October 4 (News/Events)
- The Parish 2016 Annual Appeal is still underway (Outreach)
Easy and secure way to give to St. Emery’s Church.
Set up your regular weekly offerings, second collections, and/or other contributions on a totally secure website.
ST. EMERY’S CHURCH IS DESIGNATED
AN HISTORIC PLACE
The Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) officially notified the Diocese of Bridgeport, the Town of Fairfield and the parish of this honorary designation on August 23, 2013.
WEBSITE PAST ANNUAL EVENTS
St. Emery’s 80th Anniversary slide show.
A Trip Through History
(Internet Youtube link)
WHERE TO FIND IT
To stay current with St. Emery Parish activities go to the following designations on the website navigation bar.
Outreach covers both Charity Functions and Fund Drives either underway or being planned
News/Events (Latest News and Social/Church Events)
News/Events covers Latest News, the Upcoming Events and 2016 Past Events
St. Emery registration and contact information including street address, telephone numbers, email address, directions/map-link and parking information can be found in the Contact/Registration section.
As points of interest, a photograph showing St. Emery’s Church during construction in 1932 was recently discovered as well as a discovery of a one-of-a-kind lost sculpture of St. Stephen. Both are shown in the History section.
Ever wonder what the Latin inscriptions mean on the 130 year old rare stained glass windows in the Church? Father Charles Allen S. J., Assistant to the President at Fairfield University, who is versed in Latin, translated these inscriptions to English and they are quite elegant. We thank him for his effort. The translations can be found in the Sacramental Life section.
Historic Architecture and Art
A view inside of St. Emery’s Church showing location of the elegant Saint Stephen/Saint Emery mural fresco over the altar in the sanctuary.
The center marble altar, the two side altars with statues and a portion of the original ceiling art can also be seen.
(Click 0n photographs to enlarge)
The Sanctuary mural painting (banner on top of this web page) is one of the most recognizable art pieces in the Church from 1932. The painting ‘Admonitions’ shows St. Stephen of Hungary (center), his young son St. Emery (left) kneeling beside him and St. Gerard (behind St. Emery) who was the Tudor of St. Emery.
The altar mural is a copy of a painting by the renown artist Karoly Lotz, the Prince of Hungarian Artists. The Sanctuary mural figures were carefully restored to their original condition and the background structure was added in 2000 in accordance with the original painting.
A larger view of the altar and mural painting (right) reveals the three stained glass windows located above the altar dating from 1932 (see below). The original mural figures were painted by Italian artist Joseph Natale.
Every window in the Church portrays a biblical story, event or religious symbolism.
The Sanctuary window to the left of the Altar portrays the Last Supper with Jesus and Saint Peter and a present apostle. Note the shepherd’s staff below Jesus’ feet symbolizing Jesus the Good Shepherd.
The window in the upper center of the Sanctuary shows Jesus on the Crucifix with the Virgin Mary and Joseph of Arimathea, who recovered Jesus’ body, by his side.
The Sanctuary window to the right of the Altar symbolizes a parable with Jesus asking for and receiving water (the living water) from the Good Samaritan Women.